Calcutta Girls High School was founded in 1856 under the patronage of Governor General of India, Lord Canning. It was supported by the Evangelical denominations of the city.Management of the school was handed over to Bishop J.M.Thoburn of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The School is now owned & managed by the Methodist Church in India and is under the supervision of the Calcutta Christian School Society, registered under Act XXI of 1860, and a local Managing Committee headed by the Bishop of the Bengal Regional Conference as Chairman. The aim of the school is to provide high quality education at an affordable cost. The medium of instruction is English, but students need also to be proficient in either Hindi or Bengali. The school is recognized by the Deputy Director of Secondary Education (Anglo Indian Schools) West Bengal and is affiliated to the CISCE (Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi).
From dance, drama, art, theatre to debating and creative writing the schools hosts a lot of activities to engage the students.