The school with its sister institution at Jhelum (Pakistan) came into existence after the First World War with a generous donation of Rs. 2.5 lakhs from King George V’s Patriotic Fund. The foundation stone of the school was laid by the then Prince of Wales in Feb 1922 and the school started functioning at Jalandhar Cantt on 15 Sep 1925. The School was christened as King George’s Royal Indian Military College (KGRIMC). This institution was founded with the aim of imparting free education to the sons of JCOs, NCOs and OR to prepare them for various Army Examinations including the Indian Special Certificate of Education. The entire curriculum was based on Military requirements with English as medium of instruction. The strength of the school was 250 and the staff consisted mostly Military personnel. During the World War-II the school was designated as College. One hundred more boys (then called cadets) were admitted under the expansion scheme. The conditions of admission were relaxed to accommodate the near relatives of Army Personnel and admission was thrown open to all branches of Armed Forces. The college was affiliated to the Punjab University for Matriculation and Intermediate examinations. This Institution produced a large number of Officers. The college was renamed as King George’s School and shifted to NOWGONG (Bundel khand) in August 1952 where it was housed in Old Kitchner College buildings. After Independence it was felt that these schools should impart liberal education and should have a wider social basis. Consequently these schools were re-organised in Sep 1952 and half of the seats of total of 300 were thrown open to sons of Civilians and Armed Forces Officers. The school was renamed again as Chail Military School with effect from 01 Jan 1966, Military School Chail from 1996 and now as Rashtriya Military School Chail wef 25 Jun 2007. Boys are now prepared for Senior School Certificate Examination of the Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi under 10+2 scheme.
Chail Military School (Rashtriya Military School Chail or King George Royal Indian Military College) is a residential school in Himachal Pradesh, India, established after the First World War in 1922
The school is located amidst pine and deodar forests in the heart of the 110 km2 Chail Sanctuary at an altitude of 2144 meters. The world':s highest cricket ground is located in Chail and is used as a training and playground for cadets.
the school is affiliated to CBSE
Cadets undergo compulsory physical training in the morning and play sports in the evening. The school has facilities for cricket, basketball, volleyball, athletics, cross-country and boxing. The school is a member of the Indian Public Schools': Conference (IPSC) and participates in state as well as national level sports competitions. The Inter Military Schools Pentagular meet is an annual sports and CCA event where all five military schools (and previously Rashtriya Indian Military College Dehradun) compete in several field.CCA is a part of the school curriculum. Cadets participate in debates, declamations, quizzes, extempore, dance, theatre, poetry recitation in English and Hindi. They also participate in interhouse and interschool arts competitions. The school team is a participant in national and state level CCA meets. Chail Gurudwara and Sidh temple are also actively administered by the school.
no, its boys school